Sleep is a beautiful thing. It is fundamental to our well-being and is significantly impacted by our daily habits and behaviors. Here are 5 effective ways to improve your sleep:
- Believe In The Catnap! Catnaps are short, brief naps that generally last around 30-90 minutes (ideally 40!). They are controversial because some believe catnaps are helpful, while others feel as though they’re detrimental to their regular sleep pattern. Studies show that short naps actually leave you more alert, productive and refreshed.
- Take Care Of Your Gut. As Hippocrates once said – “All disease begins in the gut.” Maintaining proper gut health can be difficult, but it will be well worth it in the end. Although everybody is different, eliminating foods such as coffee, gluten, dairy and processed foods can drastically improve the function of your gut.
- Set An Alarm. It’s important to maintain a consistent sleep pattern. If you sleep for 5 hours one day and 8 the next – you are asking for trouble! Setting an alarm is a great way to keep track of your sleep and avoid feeling groggy.
- Limit Your Bedroom To Sleeping & Sex. One of the hardest things to do in today’s world is to leave distractions out of the bedroom. By distractions, I mean electronics such as TVs and cell phones. By getting into the habit of using these electronics in bed, your body and mind will get used to it and it will be harder to enjoy the better things your bed was made for.
- Dim The Lights. Light a candle or dim the lights before you go to sleep. This low lighting will slowly but surely signal your brain to start slowing down and prepare for rest.
With that being said, it takes a bit of effort to create a flawless sleeping routine. What do you do to improve your sleep?